Saturday, December 13, 2008

Interview With Mala Reginz

Pin It Now!


Mala Reignz is one of the hottest female mc's to come out in a long time. From the Bronx, her flow on the mic is so distinctive and powerful. I have seen her perform and her energy is unmatched from women and even most men. She already is in the record books, because the single "BX Till I Die" featuring Elus, was the first video on Music Choice On Demand where the artists were not signed to a major record label.  I got a chance to interview her and here it is: 

1. I know you get this question a lot, but how did you get the name Mala Reignz?


My last name is Malave so when I began writing poetry and performing at poetry slams, I decided to roll with the name Mala. Reignz came later cuz I wanted something that sounded fuller. Mala Reignz pretty much describes me as an artist and my style. Mala is spanish for Bad Girl (cuz Im a badass on the mic) and Reignz (Reigns) means having the ultimate power/control. 

2. You have a single out called Whole Club Rockin along with your mixtape Miss Rap Supreme. What do you plan to call your album and when will it be released?

I've been back and forth with album titles for a long time now. I'll be releasing another mixtape before the album. The mixtape will be called "Calm Before the Storm" and that'll be followed by the album called "The Perfect Storm". It kinda plays off my name Reignz since it sounds like Rains. Basically the mixtape will be crazy and the album will be insane. That's what I"m going for. I'm gonna give em something they never heard before. The mixtape is already underway. I'm aiming to drop it in March. The album will take a bit longer since it'll be my first album so Ima take my time with it to make sure I come correct.

3. What is the first record that made you say, I want to rap?

I don't really have one of those. There's too many records and artists that influenced me. Not to mention the fact that I didn't always know I wanted to make music my career. I remember loving to hear the ladies spit and even recording songs from the radio and writing the female's verses so I could know them word for word so I could fully rep when my song came on lol. But there wasn't just one song that influenced me. I started off with the poetry to get me through some rough patches in my life and used to write while listening to Jay-Z, Eminem, Lauryn Hill, Nas, Wu-Tang Clan, The Lox, Big Pun...the greats. I guess listening to them just made me want to be real, relatable, lyrical, witty, clever....great.

4. Who is your favorite person to work with music wise?

There's a couple of really talented artists that I love working with not only because they're dope musically but because they're good people in general. Hecklerhouse, my main producer and engineer, always hits me with bangers that I have to sit on a lot of times cuz they're so hot I actually get a little intimidated like DAMN! LOL
My brother Elus, he's a real genuine dude and a great talent so I love to work with him always. I did this joint with a good friend Opera Steve and yes, he is classically trained and sings opera...the real deal. I loved working with such a different genre and look forward to our upcoming video and working on some new stuff. The most important thing to me is a good vibe and of course, the fun factor. If its not fun then its work and for all that I woulda just kept the 9-5 ya know?!

5. What is your favorite song you have ever done?

That's hard to answer cuz I fall in love with every new song I do. Its still kind of amazing to me to have an idea in my head and actually hear it come to life. I guess my current single Whole Club Rockin' is the favorite for now. Ngage produced it and Alkatraz (Ruff Ryders Latino) makes a cameo on the intro and hook. Its a banger point blank. First one of my joints to get regular club spins so its an exciting time for me.

6. On your album, who would you like to work with as far as rappers and producers go?

Well if I could have my wish I'd have Just Blaze, Will.I.am, Timbaland, Scram Jones, The Alchemist. Then for rappers I'd have Jay-Z, Nas, Lauryn Hill, Andre 3000, Kanye, Joell Ortiz and Joe Budden. Crazy combo right? But I love em all for different reasons and I'd do some sick concepts with each one. All of em are dope in their own right not only for their fan bases but for their creativity and willingness to push the limits. Shit would be crazy!

7. Where do you see yourself music wise in a couple of years from now?

I see myself being a new household name. Performing all over the world. Even though I've been doing music for years now, in a few more years I'll be the new kid on the block to the public. I'll be a fresh voice, a new perspective and a force to wreckon with. All my hard work now will pay off later and launch me into a more comfortable place musically and creatively. 


You can hear Mala on Myspace at: www.myspace.com/malareginz. Go and get her Miss Rap Supreme mixtape on egradioonline.com

0 comments: