Thursday, December 18, 2008

Interview With CityMaine

Pin It Now!

It's 12:30am, and as most nine to fivers have just drifted away into a deep sleep, he's cruzin' down the Van Wyck Expressway headed towards a undisclosed Manhattan recording studio wearing his signature New York fitted cap and a guaranteed-to-be-fresh pair of Air Force Ones, as the bright city lights of this big city of dreams bounce off his illegal tint black Gucci stunna shades. See, after a long day filled with song writing, mailing off c.d's, and putting the finishing touches on the self-designed cover of his soon to be released third mixtape "The Corporate Hustle", the best part of this self-proclaimed grindaholic's day is just beginning. At this late hour, as one day shifts into another, and the normally fast pace New York City comes to a slow creep in Queens, he's off to do what he does best-make music. "Everyday is a grind" says this city-bred rapper, who, after a few name changes, has settled on a name which seems to fit his lifestyle accordingly. CityMaine, born Jermaine Alston, is a rap star in the making. Though you may not know his name yet, don't sleep on him. At a time when quality NYC street records seem to be missing from record's song rosters, and big name artist are creating t-shirts that state "I'm not a rapper, ' CityMaine proudly claims the title. "I'll go on record and say I'm a rapper, but that's not where it stops for me, " says City, whose many other talents alll seem to revolve around his innate creativity and gift of gab. With his flashy confidence, pure drive and devotion, sheer talent and ability to dream big, I guarantee the world will be chanting his name real soon. I got the chance to link up with CityMaine and ask him some questions....

1. How long have you been doing this?

Been rhyming since I was 15, I use to spend alot of time with my older cousin (R.I.P Brian Alston) him and his friends use to rhyme and I would be there as they created and cypha'd, I just caught on from there and one day started penning my own shit.

2. How did you come up with the name CityMaine?

The name CityMaine, well it's kinda a funny story. I use to rhyme with my right hand at the time, Sonny. So he was kinda using the Son Dance Kid, so I was like fuck it I'm Butch Cassidy my pops nick name is Butch so it kinda worked for me cause people in my family was always calling me little Butch here and there. But then came Snoop with his crew The Eastsidaz, and one of they homies was named Butch Cassidy. So at this point, I'm like fuck it, I'ma drop the Butch and just use Cassidy. Some time goes by and Swizz comes out with a kid from Philly named Cassidy..lol I'm telling you this is a long one. From there I dropped the CAs and started running with just City, but then came Diddy with his making of the band, and they had Chopper City or Yung City and was like fuck it, I'm throwing my name on the end and going by CityMaine, cause Jermaine is my name and niggas in hood all know me as Maine. That was it. Til the death CityMaine.

3. I've heard your mixtape and I like it. Who do you plan to work with in the future?

Who I plan to work with, hmm.. who I'd like to work with musically of course some of the greats like BabyFace, or Prince, Timbo the Neptunes all of those would be a honor of mine. As far as up and coming cats, I'm definitely feeling the nigga Max B, out of Harlem. That's really the only new shit I'm diggin like that. Honestly. There's a few other cats too, but just a few.

4. What is your inspiration?

Life. Music is life for me.

5. Where do you see yourself in the near future?

In the near future, I see myself being exactly where I'm supposed to be in life. I feel I've been blesseed so far, so I can only hope as long as I continue to be me, more blessings are to come.

6. What upcoming projects are you working on?

Upcoming projects I'm working on.... a CD I might potentially drop called "The Simple Things". It's a little concept I'm thinking about right now, right now honestly, I'm focusing on things outside of music mainly and just doing music here and there for fun.

7. What is your motto for 2009?

My motto for 2009 is "Make Everyday Count"



0 comments: