Monday, April 6, 2009

Interview with J. Profit

Pin It Now!


Whats going on people? I know it has been a while since I had an interview on the site. I reached out to a homie out west named J. Profit. Here is his bio straight from his page: He was born June 18th, 1976 to an African-American Father & Korean Mother. He has been writing Raps & Poetry since 12. Born June 18th, 1976 to an African-American Father & Korean Mother. Been writing Raps & Poetry since 12 (Off & ..ped my first albulm American Famine early 2003. Check CD BABY (http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/profit) or Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/American-Famine-Profit/dp/B000071AZM). Spent parts of 2004, 2005, and 2006 in and out of County due to my lifestyle, got back into recording in the later part of 2007, but i never stopped writing. Dropped The Git Back Theory (mixtape 1) May 2008 (1 thousand sold) about to drop The Mask & Misconceptions (mixtape 2) March this year, which features remakes of Hip-Hop classics. Will be looking for distribution for my Sophmore Albulm (C.P.) early Summer-when its done. (Have been working on C.P. albulm for 4 years, THE ENTIRE ALBULM IS FIRE w/ a few cuts that soothe the soul. It features production from myself (J.Profit), B. Tealer (GA), Promise (S.F.), D. Animal & Aaron "Wax" Ruppert (S.F.), M.Heights (Fla), and Ali Richardson (W. Philly)- that cat plays 10 instruments ALL well, and inspires me. Featured MC's- J.E.T.S. (S.F.), M.Hieghts (Fla), and singers Danielle Herbert (Philly), & Jules Jones (S.F.). The penmanship, hooks, and delivery on the C.P. albulm is outa this world-(check Stay Grindin', BaZzar, & 2 & a Half in my music box for a sample of the upcoming albulm & samples of both Mixtapes).

I hit the homie up and asked him a couple of questions............ 

1. How did you get the name profit?

The name $tarted out a$ Prophet,but I felt it wa$ a little 2 arrogant 2 name my$elf that, $o I changed it 2 Profit (originally meant 2 be an acronym.) Poor 2 Rich Original Frisco International Thug, or Povertie$ Rea$on Offer$ Freedom In$ide Truth. (The J came later.) After my 1$t albulm, "American Famine late 2002", other Profit$ $tarted poppin' up on Amazon.com & Cdbaby.com-I didn't want 2 drop the title completely $o I ju$t added the J. (That'$ what my real name $tart$ with.) Tho$e I grew up wit' call me by my name, $o it wa$n't given 2 me-it wa$ created by me.

2. You're from the west coast. How do you guys promote out there? I'm from brooklyn and I've never been out there, but I know getting around is more difficult than nyc.

A$ far a$ promotion goe$-$ame a$ mo$t place$ i gue$$. (Flyer$, word of mouth, & $how$). Also, the internet. It all boil$ down 2 relation$hip$ & connection$. My angle at the moment i$ letting the Mu$ic $peak 4 it$elf, & bringing people 2 me.. A$ 4 the tran$portation-be$ide$ N.Y.C. San Francisco has the be$t tran$it in the Nation. Bu$e$, Train$, & all that Jazz. We have Muni (both surface & underground), & Bart tran$it (which travel$ throught the Bay Area.) It aint hard 2 get around out here.


3. When did you start rapping?

I think I wrote my 1$t rap when I wa$ in the 6th or 7th grade. It wa$ about me fighting the X-Men. I u$ed 2 call my$elf MC Agony, & I had a $tarter coat w/ "I'm Taxin'" on the back of it. No one took me $eriou$ then cuz I wa$ a cla$$ clown.

4. What artist made you want to really rap?

I fell in Love w/ Hip Hop when i wa$ 6. The $ong wa$ "The $how", by Doug E. Fre$h & $lick Rick. Later it wa$ N.W.A., but when I heard Hugh E MC'$ "Keep A Bitch Broke", & Cougnut$ (R.I.P.) "$candlou$", I $tarted writing more. (They are both pioneer$ in the San Franci$co Rap $cene.) The day I heard Tupac'$ Brenda$ Gota Baby wa$ the day I $tarted trying 2 put $ong$ together, but it wa$ ju$t a hobby then.

5. I see that you're a ghostwriter. How does that process go as far as getting credited? Who have you wrote for?

Aint gon' be able 2 do it. A$ a gho$twriter i'm paid 2 NOT take credit, & if I $ay who I wrote 4 they might not fuck wit' me no more. Where i'm at in my Life right now I need that little bit ah' change. I will $ay thi$ I havn't wrote 4 any Gold or Platinum Arti$t$-yet, but there are $everal I've writen 4 in thi$ $hort period of time. I've only been doing the My$pace thing 4 two month$ .

6. Where do you see yourself by the end of 2009?

 I $ee my$elf in a very good place in all 4 realm$, ($piritually, phy$icallt, mentally, & finacially.) The albulm will be fini$hed by June of 2009, & the entire albulm iz FiiAH!!! I'm going 2 have 11 joint$ designed 4 radio play. 2009 i$ either gona make me, or brake me. Mo$t likely make me, cuz the albulm i$ 2 $olid 2 be $lept on, & it'$ a documentary of the la$t 5 year$ of my Life. Very truthfull & REAL.

7. Any advice for any up and coming artists?

I would $ay-don't get caught up in the $tatu$ Quo. True Arti$t are needed in thi$ Day & Time, & TRUE Arti$t$ don't fit in a box! The Brighte$t $tar$ $hine cuz they're NOT like the re$t. Al$o, keep people around you who believe in you, & let the other$ fall 2 the wai$t$ide. Don't be afraid or he$itate 2 be your$elf, & remember Life i$ about Growth not ju$t growing old & lookin' fly in the proce$$.

8. How do you feel about hip-hop's influence on the kids? I know when I was younger I wanted to do this like this rapper and wear my clothes like this rapper....

I think Hip Hop influence$ the Young 1'$ more than ever, becau$e of all the acce$$ channel$ that are open. Meaning, radio, $atelite radio, & the Internet. Hip Hop i$ everywhere now, but unfortunately alot of it i$ pop garbage that hold$ no TRUE $ub$tance. Growing up everyone i$ going 2 either idolize or emulate $omeone who in$pire$ them-the challenge i$ 2 be in$pired but maintain a $en$e of individuality. Life i$ about finding our$elve$ amongst the madne$$ that $urround$ u$, & cant no-one find them$elve$ if they're tryin' 2 be someone el$e.

9.  What is the name of your label and what do you plan to do once you get a deal?

The name of the Label i$ Profit Mu$eik, & I can't $ay I necce$arily want 2 be $igned 2 a Major Label, (of cour$e a di$trubution deal i$ ideal-but i'm not foccu$ed on a record deal.) W/ the internet & the Quality Mu$ic i'm makin' right now I have a chance at being $icce$ful as an Independent Arti$t-especially in the Bay! Here it'$ common philo$ophy 2 do 4 $elf. I wouldn't rule out the I, but I don't go 2 bed dreamin' about a record deal.

10. Do you think hip-hop should focus on the outside world and not just its own world?

I think Hip Hop ha$ alwy$ dealt w/ i$$ue$ around the World, becau$e Hip Hop addre$$e$ the $tate of the poor in the, "once wa$ the riche$t country in the World", & $eeing that America got it'$ hand$ in $o much (2 much if u a$k me), we take on baggage wey're not fully aware of, it'$ all connected. PLUS, Hip Hop i$ World Wide now $o it'$ already carrying out it$ Nature. Hip Hop i$ a channel of communication. True, alot of Mc'$ don't re$pect the Root$ of the artform, but that$ $oon 2 change a$ well. Nothing $tay$ the $ame-it either GROW$ or DIE$! Hip Hop will evolve & remain the mo$t powerfull form of Mu$ic, becau$e of the raw element$ & it$ Root$. It'$ ju$t in the rapture $tage right now, when the cloud$ evaporate the artform will be $tronger, & even more Universal.

Stay tuned for J. Profit yall!!! I got some of his music and im gonna be dropping it on here!!!

For now you can check out his music at: www.myspace.com/profitmuseik1

0 comments: